Wednesday 24 February 2016

Thing 17 & 18- Visualisation Tools & Text Mining Tools

Think about the role of data in your research, and what formats you’re expected to present it in. Will any of these tools be useful

This is something new that I have come across. Of course I knew about the importance of data visualisation in research, but getting an insight into the various data visualisation tools is central to be able to choose the most appropriate one.
Data visualisation can be in many formats, some of the most common formats include graphs, and interactive graphs. For the mathematically disoriented, I always prefer interative visualisations :)
Recently, infographics have gained momentum in terms of presenting data in a fun and consice manner. Hence, Visual.ly is a fantastic option.
It was very informative to see there are publicly available data visualisation generators, I am certainly going to promote these to our researchers when I have the chance!


I really liked the post on text mining tools. I explored using 'Voyant Tools' and loved the simplicity of the interface! I may even incorporate using this in some of my formal presentations. I think its a great tool for emphasising aspects of your research project when presenting to an audience. It enables the viewers to get the main gist of a message beautifully in what I call the "key message / key word jumble"! As an experiment, I put in the mission statement of ACU and had to edit it to remove the most recurring generic words i.e. 'the, of, etc..' I found that Hannah Shelly had the same experience as I did which was reassuring!

1 comment:

  1. thanks, there is such power and capacity in these tools.

    ReplyDelete